January 5, 2012

The Evolution of Rock Music (and My Favorite Rock Song)

A while ago, I've read an article on the evolution of Rock music. As you may already know rock music originated from 1950's Rock & Roll, which in its turn was created through Country music and Rhythm and Blues. As you may also know, lots of different other types of music have influenced Rock; Jazz, Blues, Classical, Folk, etc. etc. The article I've read included an overview of all the different types of Rock music.  As can be seen, many different musical genres have come to life through Rock music. I have put the different genres in a mindmap  to show out of which particular musical style they were created. (Click on the image to make it larger).



Of course, this is not a complete overview and probably many other sub-genres of Rock music are still missing on this list. Moreover, musical genres have often been influenced by several other styles and not just by one, as the above figure suggests. Nevertheless, I think it shows very well  the enormous diversity of Rock music.

Personally, I am more into mainstraim Rock styles. I like Classical Rock, Baroque Pop, Metal, Indie Rock, Grunge, Britpop, but most of all just plain old fashioned Rock music. My all time favorite (Heavy Metal) Rock song is "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. It is actually Black Sabbath's only top ten hit, and was written in just a few minutes as they needed another song to fill the album.

Black Sabbath - "Paranoid"